PCA Standard Design-Development Methodology
Over the years we have established several important engineering and project management principles that guide our working relationship with every Client. These concepts form the “rules of engagement” behind our engineering practice — and help PCA and our Clients to optimize results, and minimize technical, budget and schedule risk.
We will establish milestones each month to measure progress, manage changes
as they occur, drive decisions and keep the project focused and on track. Just follow our lead — and provide the feedback we require
at each phase — and you will see your custom database solution evolve from initial Prototype designs, thru detailed specs,
to a fully-functional Smart Client solution that is custom-fit to your unique business needs.
PCA Engineering & Project Management Principles
The following engineering and project management principles guide our approach to working with every Client, and
help to achieve optimal results, and minimize technical, budget and schedule risk:
- Project estimates are based solely upon a Client-approved Prototype and Detailed Design phase; other factors (including your existing system) have no bearing on our estimates.
- Agility is essential during the Prototype design phase—this is how we exploit opportunities to improve your business capabilities and efficiency. Stability however becomes increasingly important, the deeper we get into the Development phase.
- In our experience, including “nice to have” capabilities in a new system tend to add more to cost than to value. Build a solid foundation first, then enhance.
- Adopting a new system into your business in incremental phases usually produces better results, and is less costly.
- Frequent, highly-responsive communication, facilitated by experienced Project Managers on both sides, is the number one critical success factor in any project.